Video: Healthy Labor Day Tips & Recipes with Robyn Flipse
Posted by Caitlin Norton
Make the most of the up-coming Labor Day weekend, which is sadly considered the unofficial end of summer. Grilling is still a great option this time of year and there are plenty of yummy fruits and veggies available for delicious, healthy dishes, like zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, corn, blueberries, and melon, to name just a few.
I sat down with nutrition expert Robyn Flipse from The Everyday RD to get her tips and tricks for healthy eating this Labor Day weekend along with some fun ideas to keep the whole family active! After watching the video, check below for links to some low-cal versions of your traditional Labor Day weekend foods!
Here are just some of the Labor Day tips and tricks Robyn shares in the video:
Make simple substitutions
- Whole wheat buns for the burgers and dogs
- Lower fat turkey or chicken Italian sausage for sausage and peppers
- Baked corn chips for the salsa instead of fried
- Light mayonnaise in the potato salad, macaroni salad and/or coleslaw
- Lemonade made with a low calorie sweetener and ice cubes with mint leaves frozen in them
- Lower calorie whipped topping on the strawberry shortcake
- Use 9 inch paper plates instead of jumbo sized
- Put your portion of chips in a paper cup to control the amount you eat instead of taking them from a common bowl
- Take a slider instead of full sized burger
Fun Fitness for the Family
- Whiffle ball
- Hula Hoops
This week will be full of brand new TSOLC Labor Day recipes perfect for an end-of-summer potluck or picnic so check in daily! All the recipes have incorporated some easy substitutions so you’re getting the same great flavor your family will love without the added calories, fat and sugar.